A community free from fear, neglect, violence, and abuse.
To support all people to live free from fear, neglect, violence, and abuse.
- Creating Safety and Healing Together: We believe it is a privilege to participate with individuals and families on the journey of creating safety and healing.
- Social Redress: We believe upholding the dignity of victims and supporting perpetrators to change is central to restoring individual and community well-being.
- Language Matters: We believe using accurate language to describe violence and clarify responsibility has the power to achieve social justice.
- Collaboration: We believe that one agency cannot stop family violence alone.
- Leadership: We believe in using evidence and practice experience to prevent family violence while ensuring a healthy culture and organization.
- Social Change: We believe that all of us are change-makers and can influence our environment so that children and adults can feel safe and be provided opportunities to thrive.
The evolution of the Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter is FearIsNotLove
In 1973, a group of visionary women opened a small volunteer-run shelter for women and families in Calgary. The following year, the Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter registered as a charity, formally taking over the operations. Since our origins as a 13-bed facility in the Beltline area, the Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter, now known as FearIsNotLove has expanded to serve over 20,000 Calgarians annually.
A Group of visionary women open a small volunteer-run shelter for women and families in Calgary
Calgary Women’s Emergency Shelter becomes a registered charity
Services for children developed
Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter moves to a new facility
Outreach Counselling Program begins
Beginning of Men's Counselling Service
Start of youth prevention program: Healthy Relationships
First Turning Points Fundraising Gala
Shelter burns to the ground
New Shelter opens
24-Hour Family Violence Helpline piloted
Shelter increases bed spaces from 35 to 40
Start of Children’s Outreach Program
& Men’s Counselling Service begins partner support program
Court Support program initiated
& In-house wellness clinic accessible for clients
Response Based approach embraced by agency
Calgary Women's Emergency Shelter commemorates 40 years of service to the community
Programs accredited for the first time
Start of child, youth, and family therapy program
Launch of children's book "Stanley on the Shoulders of Giants"
FearIsNotLove branding launched
Thank You to our Supporters!
We are extremely grateful for our wonderful volunteers and supporters. Without them, FearIsNotLove would be unable to provide the wide range of services that we are so proud to offer. Click below to view the full list of those who generously support our initiatives.